Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] First step of a pen-test

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:10:30 -0500

It depends on the scope.  Usually, I try to perform interviews with key
administrators, engineers, and managers.  I also like to review some policy
documents, if they have any.  Of course, you can't *DO* this if they want a
"hacker's eye veiw" on security.  You'd have to use social engineering.  It
all depends on the scope of the contract.

Usually, an in-house assessment is what they want.  they want to see what
you're doing... and so they don't hid the fact that you're pen-testing.  In
this case, Interviews and Policy review are typically my first activity.
This gives me a good idea of some network structure, OS's, and things theat
they consider "Assets", and the level of vulnerability the assets have (or
how vulnerable the company thinks they are).

In general, this is a good way to get the client comfortable with you, and
for you to get comfortable with the environment and people you'll be around
for the next couple of days.