Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Evaluating Auditors Abilities

From: Deri Jones <Deri.Jones () NTA-MONITOR COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:40:28 +0100

At 10:56 07/09/00 -0700, Mark wrote:
1. Management got ripped off by what you describe

Yup!  We've heard stories like this so often - poor testing at inflated
prices
from 'big name' suppliers...  It's the norm, not the exception, I would say
:<(

2. Many auditing firms unless they present their credentials will just run
the typical commercially available toolsuite plus a couple of hobbled
together tools, produce a nice report and never validate the results

Yup

...snipped
9. No there are no certifications or Industry Groups that monitor or
endorse the auditors.

Actually this is not quite true - in Europe, the UK Government seems to be
unique in having a certification scheme for testers - maned by the govt
body 'Communications Electronics Security Group' (www.cesg.gov.uk) - the
scheme is called the CHECK scheme.

We were one of the founding members back in January 1999.
(Here at NTA Monitor we do more pen testing than any other company in
Europe (eg over 520 test assignments in 1999, over 200 clients on current
quarterly or monthly test contracts - from all 5 continents).)

Now whether the CHECK scheme is a high enough quality standard- humm?...  It
was quite a debate in the set-up phase - just how high to set the bar.  We
think it's too low...but we're just one voice...

But, using a CHECK member *does* provide some level of assurance.

But the *most* important thing you can do
 - is ask the vendor for a *list* of customers - if they can't show they've
done work for say 30 or 50 companies - then have they really got the
experience?  Once you've got the list, you can select the references *you*
want to speak to - not just call the 2 or 3 names the vendor offers  - it's
easy to have 2 happt customers!

One thing that differentiaites us from the 'Big 5's of this, is we have
customer lists on our web site and in our literature - and we invite
new prospects to choice their choice of who they want to call.

Maybe that's why we are picking up a rush of new clients who are dropping
the Big 5..., and the like :<)

Deri Jones
NTA Monitor

ANyone with enough money and political saavy can
open up shop (whether you are name or not), invest some money in a fancy
web site, claim to have all the vulnerabilities and exploits, and provide
cruddy service, but are backed by large VC..

/mark