Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Evaluating Auditors Abilities

From: "Teicher, Mark" <mark.teicher () NETWORKICE COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:56:21 -0700

1. Management got ripped off by what you describe
2. Many auditing firms unless they present their credentials will just run
the typical commercially available toolsuite plus a couple of hobbled
together tools, produce a nice report and never validate the results
3. A majority of the auditing companies use the security audit as a trick
to get the follow on work.  If we find something, we can also fix it.
4. Hiring an outside firm is more than hiring some Big Auditing firm it is
a much different approach, you want research the company that you are
hiring and interview the candidates that will be doing the assessment, not
just the sales/SE that come onsite and do the demo type thing..
5. Check the liability and legal wording of the contract, there is usually
a lot of verbage in there.
6. Remember a security audit is a snapshot of an organization's security
stance over a couple of days, not an overall view of the network
architecture, policies, or the business model analysis

7. In my mind, none of them do an outstanding job of performing thorough
security audits, many of them claim they do, but how many of them are
really up to snuff.

8. Prior to the report presentation, ask for a copy of the data, so that
you can go through the data yourself, and validate the findings, ask for a
list of tools they used (should be provided on the last page of the
report). and replicate some of the tests, if your results come out
different, than counter the final report

9. No there are no certifications or Industry Groups that monitor or
endorse the auditors.  ANyone with enough money and political saavy can
open up shop (whether you are name or not), invest some money in a fancy
web site, claim to have all the vulnerabilities and exploits, and provide
cruddy service, but are backed by large VC..

/mark