Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Forensic analisys and related training

From: hellnbak () HUSHMAIL COM
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:18:19 -0700

That is odd.  When I took the course, it was taught 100% by Eric Cole.
I attended SANS Ottawa (cheaper to go to Canada with the US Dollar).  He
blazed through the incident response stuff in a day and a half just so he
could get to the Hacker Tools, which in my opinion embarassed himself and
SANS.

Especially when he went into his anti-L0pht/@Stake rant.  It was my first,
 and last SANS con and my first and last SANS certification.

I have also taken and passed this certification. I agree on Eric's
knowledge,
the
hacking tools section was weak and out of date for the most part.

Although the hacking tools portion is very weak, the incident response
with
Stephen
Northcutt is pretty good. Although not a complete waste of money, if
you are
looking
for incident response, just take his course seperately and skip the
rest.
Learning
about hacking tools in two days in a class of 100+ is not a good use
of
time.

Just a (slightly) different opinion...

                              - Chris
--
Christopher Misra                                    Network Analyst
OIT/Network Systems and Services                        LGRC A153