Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] ISS not detecting unicode bug??

From: Renaud Deraison <deraison () CVS NESSUS ORG>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:35:15 +0100

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 03:40:13PM -0500, Eric Budke wrote:
No opinion about Nessus, but the one thing that ISS and NAI have going for
them is a way of pushing out (not technically pushing) updated.  I've got
hundreds of emails across a couple of mail clients of things to go back to,
or to look at. There was a time I'd grab almost every linux kernel and
upgrade all my boxes (until I moved to a laptop where kernel upgrades cause
things like PCMCIA cards to stop working). It isn't really that practical.
Nmap for a period (and I'm sure it will happen again) where there were
updates every day or two. Few admins have the available bandwidth to deal
with that. Especially if you aren't using it every day.

Nessus comes with the utility "nessus-update-plugins" which
automatically retrieves all the newest plugins. Call it on a daily
basis, and you'll have an up-to-date tool.

                                -- Renaud