Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] ISS not detecting unicode bug??

From: Eric Budke <budke () BUDKE COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:40:13 -0500

No opinion about Nessus, but the one thing that ISS and NAI have going for
them is a way of pushing out (not technically pushing) updated.  I've got
hundreds of emails across a couple of mail clients of things to go back to,
or to look at. There was a time I'd grab almost every linux kernel and
upgrade all my boxes (until I moved to a laptop where kernel upgrades cause
things like PCMCIA cards to stop working). It isn't really that practical.
Nmap for a period (and I'm sure it will happen again) where there were
updates every day or two. Few admins have the available bandwidth to deal
with that. Especially if you aren't using it every day.

I'm not disagreeing with the concept of open source, but I think open
source works better if there is a way to fold everything back in to the
original product with some sort of update.

I think running a sniffer against the scanners, if you can get them down to
one set of checks can work just as well to figure out what they are doing.
Again, it is a case of who has the time and patience. I've run into a bunch
of mdac susceptible, but unicode exploitable boxes lately. In the absence
of unlimited time and the presence of experience (with particular tools or
in general) you learn which results to accept and which are sketchy.