Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Penetration Testing and Van Eck Scanning

From: Talisker <Talisker () NETWORKINTRUSION CO UK>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:27:36 -0000

The new EMC standards have drastically reduced EM emanations from monitors,
however graphics cards don't seem to fall under this legislation (correct me
if I'm wrong) they still emanate the same information at around 85 times per
second.  Your information is only a secure as the weakest link.  It's
reminiscent of the Dutch boy and the dyke, as soon as you plug up one hole
another appears.
Another and IMHO more important point is the strength of the EMC
accreditation, there seems to be vendors out there that will claim to meet
the standard and they quite clearly DO NOT.   There is some value in buying
good brand names.
There is often a great deal of mythology and scaremongering where TEMPEST is
concerned, the term TEMPEST is no longer classified, but certain individuals
tend to lean on it's supposed secrecy to generate interest and dare I say it
consultancy income.  I have a TEMPEST FAQ on my site under counter
eavesdropping - but be quick I don't think it will be there much longer

Take Care
Andy
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk
Talisker's Network Security Tools List
                    '''
                 (0 0)
  | The geek shall        |
  |  Inherit the earth     |
               |__|__|
                  || ||
              ooO Ooo
talisker () networkintrusion co uk

The opinions contained within this transmission are entirely my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of my employer.