Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] FW: [PEN-TEST] Education. Formal or not?

From: Andrew.Walls () AU COFLEXIP COM
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 06:31:23 +0100

Do not expect to acquire your technical skills in school.  The kinds of
skills you need for practicing technical security are acquired through
practice.

On the other hand, the skills required to write/critique policy
statements, conduct security investigations and audits, etc. are 'soft'
skills that can be acquired through classes.  These activities also
require a breadth of understanding which can be developed through taking
classes in areas outside of the technical arena (you know all that other
stuff - business, accounting, art, psychology, philosophy, etc.).  The
employees I have who have college degrees show a mental flexibility in
multiple contexts which I rarely encounter in employees who have
terminated their scholastics at high school or technical certification
programs.

The degree will definitely benefit you in the long run.  There will come a
time when you will not get a job through technical abilities but through
your ability to communicate, manage, etc.  When that time comes (and it
will come!) the presence of a college degree in your resume will reinforce
your personal presentation as a well-rounded manager.  Remember that you
may want to move around at some point in your life and prospective
employers may never have heard of your previous employers.  At that stage,
having a degree from a recognized academic institution can be very
helpful.

Good luck!

--
Andrew Walls, ITPU Manager Asia Pacific, Coflexip Stena Offshore
andrew.walls () au coflexip com   +61-8-9431-8565