Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] HTTP Secure Session State Management

From: Mark Curphey <mark () CURPHEY COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 09:09:30 -0800

IMHO - I am not sure how this solves the problem at all of secure session
state. Sure you can set the cookie as a secure cookie (i.e. cant only be
transmitted over https) , but if I am reading you right (and I may not be)
the cookie is still set on the client machine and what ever you set can be
replayed by any user of that machine. I can't see how SSL and token based
authentication adds value here to session management.  All this adds is a
encrypted tunnel to set a cookie.