Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] HTTP Secure Session State Management

From: Robert van der Meulen <rvdm () CISTRON NL>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 04:56:06 +0100

Hi,

Quoting Drew Simonis (simonis () myself com):
Apart from RFC 2965 (cookies) what other methods are available to
developers to manage sessions securely; i.e. authenticate each session
in a transaction ?

Is a decorated URL  a better option ?
Placing the credential material in the URL is another way, yes.  Is it
better?  To answer that, we would really need to know in what way you mean
better.
Decorated URLs, containing session ID's, are almost always worse. I hate
cookies, so i try to use them as little as possible, but your best bet would
be a <INPUT TYPE=hidden .... > tag somewhere.
There have been some problems (also mentioned on Bugtraq) with url-embedded
session ID's, mainly in webmail clients. If you go to a different (off-site)
page, from a page containing 'decorated urls', the URL you came from
(referrer) can get logged.
An evil admin could mail you a message, with an embedded URL, have you visit
his site (from the webmail client), log your session ID, and access your
email.
This problem is still visible in a lot of web-based systems today.
(urls with session IDs are a potential security leak for me - so it's not
that offtopic :) )

Greets,
        Robert

--
|      rvdm () cistron nl - Cistron Internet Services - www.cistron.nl        |
|          php3/c/perl/html/c++/sed/awk/linux/sql/cgi/security             |