Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] advertising private IP numbers?

From: "van der Kooij, Hugo" <Hugo.van.der.Kooij () CAIW NL>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:27:36 +0100

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, St. Clair, James wrote:

Internal IP's should not normally show up in a traceroute - their outgoing
traffic is not blocked correctly at the firewall//router, depending on
network config.

It may a bit more complicated.

If you have a router that doesn't support unnumbered IP numbers you may
choose to use private addresses here. (I know I did at least once to get
around a 'Bay feature'.)

And most ADSL network are build as private networks on top of which you
will use normal adresses. (Again rather painfull to get things right but
this is rather common on ADSL networks.)

Hugo.

--
hvdkooij () caiw nl     http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
This message has not been checked and may contain harmfull content.