Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Design and maintenance of secure systems (was Re: IIS4/5)

From: Bennett Todd <bet () RAHUL NET>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:26:29 -0500

2000-12-21-13:32:41 Ryan Russell:
[...] Assuming you've got your patches and
permissions/configurations in place, you're relatively safe until
the next public hole is announced.  That means you'll have to keep
an eye on new holes being announced.  You'll never be able to put
it in place, and walk away confident that it will be safe forever.

That's definitely true with some systems (including the one that
provoked this thread). It's generally the nature of systems that
have more features than the designers and implementers of the system
are capable of handling correctly.

You can't do that with any system.

Today, you can't do that with any system that's handling really
complex and elaborate server-side dynamic content with more
efficient implementations than CGI. You can get awfully close by
using an exceedingly simple config of an exceedingly simple
webserver to implement a simple design; unfortunately, the one
webserver which I'd truly trust to be 100% perfectly secure
indefinitely doesn't support even CGI, so no dynamic content at all.

I could get into which sets of software I'd prefer to try and
minimize the number of holes that crop up in the future, and
minimize the number of times I have to apply a patch in the
middle of the night with no advanced warning, but that's really a
different question.

A different question perhaps, but a valuable one to consider. Could
even imagine it has a bearing on pen-testing; the most important
step in security evaluation in general is estimating the overall
security of the target system, and appraising where, if anywhere, it
might be vulnerable.

With appropriate choice of platform, daemons, and configuration,
accepting limits to functionality where needed to achive good
security, you can come close enough to a fire-and-forget security
solution for many purposes. Different folks will cite different
tools as relevant for this job, but it's probably a good idea for a
pen-tester to be sufficiently familiar with them that they know
where they can be misconfigured to introduce problems, and how to
quickly check them over to satisfy yourself that there are none;
it's too easy to waste time hammering a system that's not gonna
crack.

-Bennett