Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NT 4.0 and MD4 Hash

From: "crazytrain.com" <subscribe () crazytrain com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 22:53:57 -0500

Hope this helps...

with the LAN Manager password, if the password is 7 characters or less, you
can find this out quickly:
  the second 8 bytes is AAD3B4435B51404EE (encrypted password).  This is
always true for 7 or less, as these 7 characters are null.

thomas

This was described in InfoWorld (print and online) Security Watch
(Authors:
Stuart McClure and CTO and Joel Scambray are co-authors of Hacking
Exposed),
which likely describes this issue. Archive of two issues to address
November
22, 1999
(http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/99/11/22/991122opsecwatch.xml)
which clarifies the October 25, 1999 issue. These describe the NT problem
being as the LanMan auth method (used for win9x compatibility). If using
LM,
passwords are only sufficiently strong when 7 and 14 characters because of
the hashing methodology (this is decribed in detail).

Brett Osborne
CLCS IT Security/Networks
"Whenever you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes