Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NT 4.0 and MD4 Hash

From: Paul Cardon <paul () MOQUIJO COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:28:13 -0500

Chris Paget wrote:

Windows NT uses an MD5 hash, not MD4.

Look at page 3 of the PPTP analysis at
http://www.counterpane.com/pptp-paper.html

When creating the NTLM hash MS first converts the password to Unicode
and then performs an unsalted MD4 hash.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 06:11:37 -0800, you wrote:

Please fix the error in my ways..  ;-)

I was under the impression that the NT hash (not the LM hash) was a
straight MD4 hash with no salt value.

A SANS article confirms this at:
http://www.sans.org/infosecFAQ/logon.htm

Just looked at the SANS article after posting my first response.  No
mention of the Unicode conversion in the article.  The article also
doesn't directly reference the best sources of NTLM password information
including the Counterpane paper, Aleph One's article in Phrack 53, the
L0phtCrack documentation and other original work by Mudge and Hobbit.
The 2nd edition of Hacking Exposed, which the author does include in his
bibliography, includes most of these references.

-paul