Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Change MAC Address

From: "Lydick, Adam" <awlydick () BULLDOG UNCA EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:01:23 -0500

Standard disclaimers apply. I'm certainly not an expert.
But here is what I know about the topic:

Having the target system broadcast to the whole network is,
IMOHO noisy and messy. This also limits the bandwidth of the
other hosts on the network, and is much more likely to be noticed.

My suggestion:

(case 1 -- you just are sniffing for passwords / outgoing connections)
Simply ARP-spoof the victim, so that they are convinced to route through
your machine.

IE:

ARP reply DEST==TargetMachine IP/MAC SRC==Router'sIP / YourMAC

This will force all of their traffic through you, so you can log it,
or do man-in-the-middle or whatever. All returning traffic will go
directly to them via. the router. (Saving the load on your machine)
[most traffic tends to be incoming, on a webbrowsing computer]

(case 2 -- you need to monitor *all* of the traffic)
Spoof both target and router.
[Note, I had a bit of trouble this one, but could easily
be my error.]

Anyone know a good fix for this? I have some ideas, but i duno if it'd
break anything:

1) Block ARP replies with the HW address that matches the router's?
(Is this easy to accomplish? I'm not a router geek :-/)

(For spoofing the host to the router, I don't have any ideas. Oh well.)

--Adam Lydick