Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Penetration Testing Documentation

From: "Mermod, Denis" <DMERMOD () LOGICON COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:03:54 -0700

All of you have produced an excellent source of reading materials.

In our library we have these reference materials:

Network Security - Private Communication in a Public World - Great reference
on network security practices (has excellent discussions on PKI and PGP)

Interconnections - Bridges and Routers - Good source of how these devices
work when sending and receiving signals.

Internet & TCP/IP Network Security - Securing Protocols and Applications -
Good context in dealing with packets and how to utilize them

Defending your Digital Assets - Excellent book that has broad spectrum on
defending the network.

Designing Network Security - Excellent source for network design.  This book
alone has examples of how to set up network security.  Consequently you can
reverse engineer these practices (which are common) to get some great
penetration testing ideas.

Firewalls and Internet Security - The catch all firewall book (should be on
every shelf)

These references might not be on all your shelves, but they are the I we use
on a continual basis.

Denis Mermod, MCP
Senior Network Security Engineer
Logicon, A Northrop Grumman Company