Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Proxy Penetrated

From: Vanja Hrustic <vanja () RELAYGROUP COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:46:35 +0700

"Proxy Penetrated"!?

Gotta love that one.

What happens is that you proxy allows 'proxying'. It's not a
'vulnerability', especially if you are doing the test from your internal
network, and your proxy is setup to allow traffic going out.

Basically, you have a proxy. What proxy does is to 'proxy' (redirect,
forward, whatever you want to call it) the traffic. So, you connect to
proxy (let's say, port 8080), issue a command like:

GET http://www.av.com HTTP/1.0

You should be able to get output from www.av.com. If you are doing this
from your network, and on your proxy, it is not a vulnerability. It is
expected behaviour.

However, if you are doing the scan 'remotely', and proxy still accepts
your traffic, it might be a small problem. That's what all those script
kiddies are abusing in order to 'hide' the real source of the scans.

If your proxy is supposed to let only traffic to certain ports, you might
want to verify that by issuing something like:

CONNECT some.ip.address:port HTTP/1.0

And seeing if connection will be established. Make sure that remote ip
address and port are reachable (you can connect to them) before you test
this. This is how people quite often bypass firewall restrictions.

There are also variations possible, depending on the proxy...

GET http://address:port/ HTTP/1.0
CONNECT http://address:port/ HTTP/1.0
CONNECT address:port HTTP/1.0

Hope this helps.