PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Remote file downloads

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:34:20 +0000

On 26 November 2013 05:23, PJ Velasco <pjvela () gmail com> wrote:
Do you run your own email server?  When I ran a postfix instance at home I
wrote rules that would trigger on specific subject lines to do different
things. For example one rule triggered a script that would parse the email
for a keyword that preceeded a word that I wanted to know the definition
for. It would look up the definition of the word at dictionary.com and email
it back.  Silly now but handy then.  You could do something similar to
download a file.

I don't run a mail server but could setup an address on my mail system
and have a service pole it through IMAP or POP3 looking for commands.
That would be good as I could get the results back as well.

I was thinking of extending this to having something running on a
server I've got in a data centre which I use to do some testing. I
could "ask" it to do a test of some kind and have it send me the
results. I'd not want to do anything to intensive as I don't like
leaving much unattended but something like Nikto would be fine.

hmm, two options now and still no time to develop things"!

Robin