PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [GPWN-list] Pen Testing Lab Images/Systems setup

From: Julian Makas <jmakas () mimictechnologies com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 04:52:01 +0000

We have a couple scenarios in play at my place.

Our "attack lab" has all of the normal pwn-able images (ie. metasploitable, DVWA, etc.).

Out "test lab" is 1/2 Fort Knox and 1/2 realistic network based on what we are seeing as a norm amongst our clients.

The Fort Knox side is a sudo war games between our admin group and security group where the realistic side tries to
mimic a common baseline of what we see going on in our client networks. This give us some red and blue team benefits.

Attack lab is for training.

Hardened and baseline networks are for training and bragging rights but mostly used for testing engagement scenarios
where we have to step outside of the box.

What do you need your lab to do for you? Let you train? Let you test poc and new concepts? Crash your lab box before
you crash a clients server while on an engagement?

It all depends on what you want to do, but you'll eventually want aspects of all of these.

- J

Sent from my iPhone