PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: DNS Query capture and analysis

From: craig bowser <reswob10 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 12:39:40 -0400

There are two ways I have seen.  Off the wire or at the DNS server itself.

From a high level, this is what you do.

If you do it off the wire, use tcpdump and filter for all port 53 TCP and
UDP.  You can then dump to pcap files and perform you analysis from there.

If at the server, for both Windows and *NIX, you must turn on debug logging
for the details.  Then you can script the analysis of the logs on a
periodic basis.

In general you want to look for hits to blacklisted domains, the top 10,
bottom 10, and top new domains.

There are plenty of how-tos and such out there, but in self interest, I'll
point to a project I did about a year ago.  It's pretty basic, but there
the MS Word document and Powerpoint slides have links and info that should
provide more information:

https://github.com/reswob10/ScourDNS

Craig L Bowser

This email is measured by size.  Bits and bytes may have settled during
transport.