PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Setting up a syslog server

From: Tom Handlon <thandlon () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:22:14 -0500

You can install syslog-ng and configure the /etc/syslog-ng.conf file
to just accept all syslog traffic.  you can easily separate out logs
for each host (and more, can get granular) by setting up filters.
Essentially syslog-ng.conf is composed of "destination" which is where
you want the log files to go, a "filter" that parses the incoming
syslog messages and places it in the right log file, and then the "log
paths" which is basically "source"(udp); "filter"(host);
"destination"(log files)

Install it and open the conf file, pretty straightforward and easy.
Edit logrotate.conf as well.

here are some quick articles and a forum that go over the basics to
get it up and running
http://sudonetworks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Syslog-ng_for_IP_Networks
http://blog.monitis.com/index.php/2011/08/28/getting-started-with-syslog-ng/
http://blog.monitis.com/index.php/2011/08/31/how-to-filter-logs-with-syslog-ng/