PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Setting up a syslog server

From: "Chris Hembrow" <chris.hembrow () lifestylegroup co uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 08:35:16 -0000

Hi,

I've recently set one up using OSSEC; not strictly a syslog server, but
it supports Syslog inputs in addition to supporting its own agents which
send logs encrypted.  Turn on the "log_all" option and all logs are
archived and automatically rotated and gzipped.  I'm using it with
Splunk and the Splunk for OSSEC app.

I've used syslog-ng in the past, and liked the flexibility of being able
to tailor how the logs are processed, but found most of the Windows
agents (such as Snare) rather clunky.  Of course, if you're not looking
at pulling in Windows logs then that's not an issue.

Chris