PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: PCAP file "per-running-process"

From: Hans Kokx <skipmeister123 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 07:54:32 -0400

If you add the p parameter to netstat it gives you the process id associated with the connection.

In Linux, yeah. Mac doesn't support -p though. :(

--
Hans Kokx

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Robin Wood wrote:

On Mar 12, 2013 4:20 AM, "Hans Kokx" <skipmeister123 () gmail com (mailto:skipmeister123 () gmail com)> wrote:

This sounded like an interesting challenge, so I whipped something together that seems to work.  Maybe it's what
you're looking for, or maybe not.

So, the idea I came up with is relatively simple: each process is going to open an ephemeral port to connect to the
known port of the service.  Let's take, for example, a simple SOCKS5 proxy I've tossed together over SSH:

nohup ssh -D 8000 -C -N me () myhost com (mailto:me () myhost com) >/dev/null 2>&1 &

I typically use this everywhere that's not at home, and push ALL my traffic through it. Hey, security.

Anywho, on my mac, I was able to find the ephemeral port that it was using:

$ netstat -ntl|grep 192.168.1.5|grep 22
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.156.61697    192.168.1.5.22         ESTABLISHED

Now we've got an ephemeral port to work with.  Some clever awk- and sed- foo and you can grab JUST that port.

Capturing the traffic is simple enough….

$ tcpdump src port 61697

So, we've got the traffic for this individual socket, but who does it belong to?

$ sudo lsof -i 4tcp:61697
Password:
COMMAND   PID  USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
ssh     17878 hkokx    3u  IPv4 0x225a0a58298b9315      0t0  TCP 192.168.1.156:61697->myhost.com
(http://myhost.com):ssh (ESTABLISHED)

There's your pid and process name.
If you add the p parameter to netstat it gives you the process id associated with the connection.
Robin
This was fun. Thanks for the challenge. :)
--
Hans Kokx