PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: hotel captive portals and forced VPNs

From: xgermx <xgermx () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:10:49 -0600

I know that you can do this with some firewall software, but I choose to
host a SOCKS proxy from my local vpn connection, and then manually point
each application at my SOCKS proxy. This way, when the VPN dies, all of the
applications are still pointed at my SOCKS proxy and their connections will
fail, rather than falling back to the internet connection. Of course, if I
have a reason to be especially paranoid, I'll typically just wifi tether to
my phone.