PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: IT Security Topics for Small Business

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 11:24:36 -0600

I really wish I had the time to delve into this discussion.

However, given everything else I'm juggling, I just want to say that small
business is currently drowning in recommendations and, as a result, is
unable to follow any of them.  Look at the work the NSA, NIST, PCI and SANS
have done in this field.  Little of it has been embraced by the small
business community.  If you truly want to help, an additive process is
unlikely to help.  Consider focusing on only three items.  I know this
leaves holes, but remember, they're ridden with holes now and despite what
we all want, they're not going to plug them all.

If this is unsuitable / too hard, consider reworking the concept into a
flow chart infographic.  Such as "Do you have a Firewall/UTM/NGFW?  If not,
get one.  If so, tune it and go to next"  ->  "Do you have a reliable
anti-malware system?  If not, get one.  If so, are you tuning it
regularly?"  I think that would be far more likely to cause positive change
than yet another dense report full of advice they're not going to take.

-Josh More