PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Security Metaphor Contest - DerbyCon

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:12:29 -0500

Since I was accepted as a speaker at DerbyCon, the ticket I purchased
from my friend is no longer needed.  Instead of dealing with the
stress of selling it, I'd like to give it away.

So, to select the lucky winner, I'm going to run a security metaphor contest.

If you want to come to DerbyCon (or have a ticket to give to your
friend), this is your chance.  Just send me a metaphor that you find
useful when conveying security concepts to non-security people.  The
best one ( in my completely biased judgment ) will win the ticket.

Classic security metaphors tend to compare technology to cars and
management/operations to sports.  There's nothing wrong with more in
their vein, but the more creative you are, the better your chance of
winning.  You may submit as many ideas as you like, either on- or
off-list.  Ideas will be collected and used in my upcoming (hopefully)
SANS gold paper.  Credit in the paper will be given where credit is
due.

There are a lot of resources on metaphor.  These two are good starting places:

* http://grammar.about.com/od/qaaboutrhetoric/f/faqmetaphor07.htm
* http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/krippendorff/metaphor.htm

For more examples, google on "metaphor examples".  You'll all smart
people.  I have faith in you.  :)

Remember that submitting to this contest will not only get you a
chance to win a (rather inexpensive) admission ticket.  It will also
help the community come up with new ways to get our concerns across
and win more fights with management.

Thanks for playing,

-Josh More