PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: How do I fill the gap of knowing how important "good" security is and actually doing something about it?

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:36:20 -0500

Congratulations, you've graduated.

More seriously, our culture does us a disservice through the schooling
process.  Classes are great when the amount you have to learn is the
majority of what can be taught in a classroom format (I suspect the
magic number is 80%).  However, once accumulated enough baseline
knowledge, the mode fails dramatically.  In this case, there is no
class that will solve your problem, as your knowledge gaps are unique
to you. At this point, the best way to learn experimentation, sharing
your thoughts with others and willingness to be wrong (and have it
pointed out to you in public forums).

I recognize, of course, that this is not directly helpful, so to
address your current concern, consider the following workflow:

1) Is this truly the most critical issue on which you should focus?
   * I've found that I can do more good in an organization addressing
patch management and workstation/server hardening than chasing packets
down rabbit trails.  This will depend, of course, on your specific
environment and key skillset.

2) If it is the most critical, consider what the alert could be
indicating.  Decide if it truly is critical.
   * IP spoofing against your VOIP system could be part of a social
engineering attack, a "free international call" attack, harvesting
information from voicemails, etc... look for secondary indicators.
   * Port scans detection can include  true port scans or can be an
external app negotiating for a control or data channel.  Do you need
control/data channels to those sources?  If not, kill the source and
forget about it.

3) If you have to dig deeper (or just want to), review the actual
packets.  If you're weak on this, play with the free PCAPs at
http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures/ .
   * Packet reading is a high learning-curve activity. Whether it
makes sense to build that skill depends on how easy it is for you and
how interesting you find it. Personally, I'm stronger in other areas,
so I focus there.

Remember, most organizations select "best" practices and them
implement them as poorly as possible.  If you are the one and only
admin in your organization, it is very likely that you should not be
spending your time on these sorts of activities. (I have an entire
presentation on why this is the case, but this is not the forum for
such a rant.)  Go back to point 1 several times a day to decide if
this is what truly matters. Odds are that you'd be better served by
finding ways to automate your daily, weekly or monthly tasks,
communicating your concerns to nontechnical people and focusing on
centralizing data management. Most smaller organizations often have so
many ways for malicious people (inside or outside) to interfere with
operations or steal data that network-based attacks are lower on the
attacker's priority list. Build defenses and indicator traps along the
most likely threat vectors and monitor those.  Once you have
reasonable certainty that they are clean, expand your program.

If you learn anything new as you do this, share it with others.

-Josh More