PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How do I fill the gap of knowing how important "good" security is and actually doing something about it?

From: Shaun Curry <scurry () smsd gs>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 02:26:30 +0000

Hello everyone!

I have difficult issue...  I am sys admin and the one and only IT person for a small organization.  I have attended
SANS courses and have listened to pauldotcom for years now.  I have been learning a lot in the area of network
security, but I need to fill a crucial gap in my knowledge.

Here's the scenario:

I review my logs daily and started noticing some strange things.  For example, an "IP Spoof" with an internal IP
address talking to my VOIP server.  I see port scans coming from facebook domain that are obviously apps.

I see things that alarm me; however, I don't know how to verify the validity of what I'm seeing.  I know that sometimes
you can get false positives and sometimes an all in one IDS/IPS/Firewall can get it wrong.  I'm feeling a bit lost!  I
know that I can expect port scanning and I tend to ignore it.  But some of the other things I'm seeing just leave me
very nervous...

I'm doing my best and as far as I can tell it's been working well, but there has to be a good training course or two
that I can take that will teach me how to identify this stuff quicker and more easily.

Do you just learn this stuff as you go?  Is experience the key?

If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it!  I can't be the first or only person to reach this point....

Thanks!

Shaun Curry