PaulDotCom mailing list archives

VMware Player and promiscuous mode?

From: Timothy Ouellette <touellette83 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 13:55:50 -0400

I am running into problems getting my Ethernet adapter in backtrack to run in promiscuous mode.

Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as the host OS with VM Player 4.02 installed. I setup Backtrack 5R2 as a Virtual Machine in player and all is working great, however i cannot figure out how to get the Ethernet adapter in promiscuous mode.

I've edited the Virtual Machines config file (in this case "/home/%user%/vmware/backtrack.vmx") to include the following line: ethernet0.noPromisc = “FALSE”

I thought this would do the trick but perhaps i am missing something. I'm using wireshark for testing purposes and so far from within the guest OS all i can see is traffic to and from the guest OS...

any ideas?

Thanks , Tim