PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Beginner's Python Book Or Website Suggestion

From: Bill Swearingen <hevnsnt () i-hacked com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:46:34 -0500

This was a great thread, so I figured I would summarize it:

*Books:*
http://nostarch.com/pythonforkids : [$29.95] *Python for Kids* is a
lighthearted introduction to the Python programming language, full of fun
examples and color illustrations. Jason Briggs begins with the basics of
how to install Python and write simple commands. In bite-sized chapters, he
explains essential programming concepts. And by the end of the book, kids
have built simple games and created cool drawings with Python’s graphics
library, Turtle. Each chapter closes with offbeat exercises that challenge
the reader to put their newly acquired knowledge to the test.

Head First
Python<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449382673/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ihackedcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1449382673>
:
[$27.26] Ever wished you could learn Python from a book? *Head First Python*
 is a complete learning experience for Python that helps you learn the
language through a unique method that goes beyond syntax and how-to
manuals, helping you understand how to be a great Python programmer. You'll
quickly learn the language's fundamentals, then move onto persistence,
exception handling, web development, SQLite, data wrangling, and Google App
Engine. You'll also learn how to write mobile apps for Android, all thanks
to the power that Python gives you. We think your time is too valuable to
waste struggling with new concepts. Using the latest research in cognitive
science and learning theory to craft a multi-sensory learning experience,
Head First Python uses a visually rich format designed for the way your
brain works, not a text-heavy approach that puts you to sleep.

Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse
Engineers<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593271921/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ihackedcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1593271921>
:
[$24.32] Python is fast becoming the programming language of choice for
hackers, reverse engineers, and software testers because it's easy to write
quickly, and it has the low-level support and libraries that make hackers
happy. But until now, there has been no real manual on how to use Python
for a variety of hacking tasks. You had to dig through forum posts and man
pages, endlessly tweaking your own code to get everything working. Not
anymore. *Gray Hat Python* explains the concepts behind hacking tools and
techniques like debuggers, trojans, fuzzers, and emulators. But author
Justin Seitz goes beyond theory, showing you how to harness existing
Python-based security tools - and how to build your own when the pre-built
ones won't cut it.

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 3rd
Edition<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1435455002/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ihackedcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1435455002>
:
[$20.33] If you are new to programming with Python and are looking for a
solid introduction, this is the book for you. Developed by computer science
instructors, books in the "for the absolute beginner" series teach the
principles of programming through simple game creation. You will acquire
the skills that you need for practical Python programming applications and
will learn how these skills can be put to use in real-world scenarios.
Throughout the chapters, you will find code samples that illustrate
concepts presented. At the end of each chapter, you will find a complete
game that demonstrates the key ideas in the chapter, a summary of the
chapter, and a set of challenges that tests your newfound knowledge. By the
time you finish this book, you'll be well versed in Python and be able to
apply the basic programming principles you've learned to the next
programming language you tackle.

Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other
Beginners<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933988495/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ihackedcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1933988495>
:
[$19.09] "Computer programming is a powerful tool for children to 'learn
learning,' that is, to learn the skills of thinking and
problem-solving...Children who engage in programming transfer that kind of
learning to other things."--Nicholas Negroponte, the man behind the One
Laptop Per Child project that hopes to put a computer in the hands of every
child on earth, January 2008 Your computer won't respond when you yell at
it. Why not learn to talk to your computer in its own language? Whether you
want to write games, start a business, or you're just curious, learning to
program is a great place to start. Plus, programming is fun! *Hello
World!* provides
a gentle but thorough introduction to the world of computer programming.
It's written in language a 12-year-old can follow, but anyone who wants to
learn how to program a computer can use it. Even adults. Written by Warren
Sande and his son, Carter, and reviewed by professional educators, this
book is kid-tested and parent-approved. You don't need to know anything
about programming to use the book. But you should know the basics of using
a computer--e-mail, surfing the web, listening to music, and so forth. If
you can start a program and save a file, you should have no trouble using
this book.

*Free Resources:*
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ : [PDF
LINK<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1394525/LearnPythonTheHardWay2ndEdition.pdf>]
Have you always wanted to learn how to code but never thought you could?
Are you looking to build a foundation for more complex coding? Do you want
to challenge your brain in a new way? Then Learn Python the Hard Way is the
book for you.LPTHW emphasizes precision, attention to detail, and
persistence by requiring you to type each exercise (no copy-paste!) and
make it run, as well as to read up on outside topics and to return to
exercises and ideas that you don't understand, and understand them. At the
end of LPTHW, you'll know the basics of coding, and be ready to move on to
more challenging books. Or at least you'll have tried something new. **NOTE*
Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch for me sharing a PDF Link
(which I purchased FYI)* Zed states in the license: This book is Copyright
(C) 2010 by Zed A. Shaw. You are free to distribute this book to anyone you
want, so long as you do not charge anything for it, and it is not altered.
You must give away the book in its entirety, or not at all. This means it’s
alright for you to teach a class using the book, so long as you aren’t
charging students for the book and you give them the whole book unmodified.

https://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/ : Welcome to
Google's Python Class -- this is a free class for people with a little bit
of programming experience who want to learn Python. The class includes
written materials, lecture videos, and lots of code exercises to practice
Python coding. These materials are used within Google to introduce Python
to people who have just a little programming experience. The first
exercises work on basic Python concepts like strings and lists, building up
to the later exercises which are full programs dealing with text files,
processes, and http connections. The class is geared for people who have a
little bit of programming experience in some language, enough to know what
a "variable" or "if statement" is. Beyond that, you do not need to be an
expert programmer to use this material.

http://inventwithpython.com/ : *“Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python”
* is a *free book* (as in, open source) and a *free eBook* (as in, no cost
to download) that teaches you *how to program* in the *Python programming
language*. Each chapter gives you the complete source code for a new game,
and then teaches the programming concepts from the example. “Invent with
Python” was written to be understandable by kids as young as 10 to 12 years
old, although it is great for anyone of any age who has never programmed
before. This second edition has revised and expanded content,
including a *Pygame
tutorial* to make games with graphics, animation, and sound.

*VIDEO TRAINING*
http://securitytube-training.com/certifications/securitytube-python-scripting-expert/
:
[$250] The *SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert (SPSE)* aims to teach you
how to apply the powerful Python language to security research, penetration
testing and attack automation using a fully hands-on practical approach
with a gradual learning curve. This course has something for everyone –
from the novice to the expert user!

http://www.udemy.com/learn-python-the-hard-way/ [$29] *Learn Python The
Hard Way is a Python tutorial I wrote to teach programming to people who do
not know how to code. It assumes you are probably a power user of your
computer, and then takes you from nothing to programming simple games.
After finishing this course you should be ready for many of the other
programming books out there.*