PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Beginner's Python Book Or Website Suggestion

From: HObbES <hobbes () vaxer net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:18:28 -0700

Hi Robert,

I'm currently using Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (get the 3rd ed, the 2nd has a lot of typos, but I'm
learning to troubleshoot better :) by Michael Dawson. It assumes ZERO coding experience, and I have scripted in Python
before, but I'm so rusty I figured I'd start from Ground Zero.

-Anne

This one time, Arch Angel wrote:
My son, some of you have met, is showing an interest in Python
programming.  He has never done any sort of programming in the past,
however I told him that we would learn Python together.  I have very
little programming experience myself, but I have worked in Python in the
past.  Mostly either reworking something already written or very small
targeted scripts for a certain task.

What would be a good book , or website, that we can sit down at the
kitchen table to learn Python side by side?

I thinking something which creates short bursts of code that has a
usable product in the end might be better, this way he doesn't get bored
and decide to quit before he realizes the power of Python.

Thanks everyone!

Robert
(arch3angel)
a hungry tiger and an         >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.
affectionate woman there is  (v_," ; `,-\ ; : ; \/,-~) \
no escape. -Ernest Bramah     `--'_..),-/ ' ' '_.>-' )`.`.__.')
hobbes at vaxer dot net      ((,((,__..'~~~~~~((,__..'  `-..-'fL