PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: ISP and router configs

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:47:30 +0100

On 8 July 2011 08:21, Bert Van Kets <mailing () vankets com> wrote:
Hi all,

I want your opinion on the following situation:

I recently moved to a new house and as I arranged to have my cable
connection moved, I took up the opportunity to change to a faster
connection (40 Mbps up, 2Mbps down). The technician installed the
modem/Router/Wifi AP/switch and let me know I'd have to go to the ISPs
web site to configure the thing. Shivers went down my spine ....

Due to a technical failure on their part I have only been able to
configure the wireless bit of the box and have not been able to
configure the router part. I have been told that it should be possible
to set up DHCP, the internal IP range and set up port forwarding.
What bothers me tremendously is that I have to give my internal network
configuration to my ISP. Not only do they own my configuration, but the
configuration of every customer who has that product type (router and
Wifi setup). Great source of info ... :-/
I am stuck for a year, but once the contract is over I will move to
another provider. I have more reasons not to trust my ISP than to trust
them. They have proven several times to be an administrative nightmare,
not only in invoicing but also in technical configurations.

What do you guys think about this?

Bert

I recently did a test on an embedded device that worked like this, you
went to the company web site and set the configs then it passed them
to the device. All the comms was done over HTTP so it was a simple
task to poison the DNS, put myself in the middle and then proxy all
the traffic.

Being a modem you probably aren't going to be able to get between it
and the ISP but it might be worth port scanning it to see what ports
are open, if the config port is open internally as well as externally
then you might be able to program it yourself if you can get hold of
the specs. They aren't usually fussy which interface config ports bind
to so it might work.

And 40 up/2 down, unless you seed a lot of stuff sounds like they
ripped you off there as well :)

Robin