PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Clamav hacking

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 10:29:33 -0400

On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:17 AM, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
On 9/6/2011 6:43 AM, Joel Esler wrote:
On Sep 5, 2011, at 9:04 PM, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
On 9/5/2011 7:21 PM, Joel Esler wrote:
I would love anything interesting regarding hacking a network instance of ClamAV!

--
Joel Esler
Sourcefire

;)

LOL
Joel, you already know what my ideas are.

We will get there, but lets let some people smarter than me, you
included, weigh in.

Actually, I don't.  Did I miss a thread?

OK, I thought you had read what I put on the clamav-users list and / or
the Clamav Bugzilla and were just messing with me.

Well, I was. ;)

There is bug 2727 which I found in April.
Although it seems to be a local issue, depending on the update system
being used, it could be remotely triggered.

Okay yeah, I've seen that.

Then there is the network access control issue.
In July we released a simple tool called Clambake.
A tool for enumerating, stress testing, and/or shutting down instances
of the Clam Antivirus service on a network.
http://www.cmpublishers.com/oss/#clambake

Yup, saw that too, didn't know if you had something new or were talking about this... or..  yeah.

I am more interested in what others here think than about promoting our
"super cool leet haxor tool".  Seriously, its neither super, cool, leet
, or haxor.  Although it was fun to build and trash our Clamav
infrastructure with..

I'd be really interested in any such progress on it.  That's the great part about OSS, the "many eyes" approach.  It
can be a pain sometimes, but it's a great approach to finding problems.

On the other hand, you create a lot of work for me ;)

(totally kidding, well, not really, but yeah)

Joel