PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Differences between MSCacheV1 and MSCacheV2

From: Jeremy Pommerening <theaudioman () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 14:00:05 -0500

I use fgdump to get the hashed

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 14, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com> wrote:

Hi all,
   Ok, I've been Googling this up and found no answer. My statements in this email may also be wrong, so double
check.

On WIndows boxes in a domain, the last 10 passwords are saved (by default) as a hash on the local box in case
communications to the domain go down. The user name is used as a salt in these hashes.

Windows before Visa: uses MSCacheV1 (AKA Domain Cached Credentials)
Windows Vista/7/2008: use MSCacheV2

Cain can now dump and crack both, but at 70 attempts per sec with Cain on a newer i7, it's kind of pointless.
Hashcat/cudaHashCat seems to be able to crack MSCacheV1 much faster than Cain, but only seems to support MSCacheV1 as
far as I can tell. Anyone know what the real differences in algorithm are between the two MSCache versions?

As a side note: What do you use for dumping these hashes? I've been using Cain, but would love to hear if there is
something better.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." ~ W. Somerset Maugham