PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Question regarding home filter using FIOS

From: craig bowser <reswob10 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:57:52 -0400

Ever since I went to SANSFIRE in DC and saw the protecting the family
afterhours presentation, I've been looking into putting in a firewall/web
proxy/filter into our home network to monitor and possibly block stuff
regarding my kids internet activities.  We have some 14 or so devices, half
of which are wired and the other half wireless which get to the internet
through our Verizon FIOS.  All the devices terminate into the FIOS
router/switch, including the TV.  Then it all goes out the ethernet
connection.

Normally, I would put my box between the FIOS router WAN port and the
external connection.  This way it could monitor both the wired and wireless
traffic.  However, I am nervous that this setup would interfere with the
FIOS TV.  Does anyone else have a similar setup and installed a monitoring
device (i.e. Smoothwall, Astaro, Untangle, etc) and if so, have they seen an
impact on TV reception?

Is there an alternate configuration that may perform better?

Thanks.

Craig L Bowser