PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Security Tips For The Small Business From 70, 000 Feet

From: Matt Nelson <mattnels () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:54:52 -0500

Good presentation!

I think you should add on-line back up services.  I like SpiderOak (multiple
systems - no charge, server OS's - no charge, multiple OS support)

Patching is tough because it takes some care and feeding. Ditto on the trio
that was provided. Automatic updating is easy, Secunia PSI works well, WSUS
will require some more help...

Either way the business will have to "hire" by beer or money an IT person to
advise initially and checkup like Michael said.

The options that small businesses are presented are greatly improved.  We
know they aren't perfect, but we have to start somewhere. Sometimes that
means the lowest rung and just work up. We aren't talking protecting against
advanced attacks, we are talking the protections that aren't (or shouldn't
be) expensive relatively in terms of the small steps.  Especially when you
look in terms of the UTM type appliances, the online backup services, and
even "in-the-cloud" services like e-mail become an attractive options and
fairly inexpensive when compared to what was available even 5 years ago.

They has pushed some of the operational and some security costs way down.

I think 5.K1dd has a point. Even with these relatively affordable options;
attitude or even effort is the biggest problem.   Most small businesses just
don't think in terms of what catastrophes (even just hardware failure) can
cause in their existence, much less attacks to steal their proprietary data
until it is too late.