PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Guest Wifi Policy?

From: Jim Halfpenny <jim.halfpenny () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:51:48 +0100

Hi.
Depending on your jurisdiction the company will have differing levels
of liability. You run the risk of being considered an ISP with all the
legal ramification and responsibility if you provide public Internet
access. Bear in mind IANAL.

My knee jerk reaction is as a baseline don't allow open access and
time limit access to the hotspot. Perhaps guests should get the WPA
key in response to completing a ToS form with a signature at the
bottom. You could even get a third party to provide the service to
absolve you responsibility for the service.

Jim

On Tuesday, 12 April 2011, Timothy Ouellette <touellette83 () gmail com> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I am tasked with providing a Guest Wi-Fi solution for one of
my clients. The client already has an enterprise WLAN which is secured with
radius and all that good stuff. Plan for the Guest Wi-Fi is to simply broadcast
a second SSID on a separate VLAN taking them straight out to an onsite DSL
circuit. Nothing fancy, no content filtering intended or desired by the client.
Just open internet obviously secured and separated from their private network.
I do intend to put up a captive portal or some sort of page which forces all
users accessing the guest network to ‘agree’ with the internet
usage policy.

So my question here is does anyone know what I have to do to
ensure that my client is not liable for anything that happens on this guest
network, i.e. someone gets hacked, or some pervert is browsing from their IP
and the FBI get’s involved etc... My assumption is that you need to have a
proper captive portal with proper verbiage on your ‘user agreement’
and I’m also assuming you need to log ‘clicks’ on the page
when users ‘agree’ to your usage policy.

Any experience or thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

Tim