PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Guest Wifi Policy?

From: Brian Erdelyi <brian_erdelyi () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:49:37 -0300

I am not a lawyer blah blah blah... the single most portant thing you should do is advise your client consult with a
lawyer.

Some might say your client is essentially an ISP providing Internet access and liability would be same.  One major
difference is that an ISP has a relationship with it's customers and may take efforts to enforce the acceptable use
policy.

You say your client isn't doing anything fancy.  No content filtering.  If the network causes damage to someone else
and your client can't hold an individual accountable they will likely be liable.

What is your client doing to prevent anonymous access?  What is your client doing to enforce the AUP and prevent damage
to others?  If the answer is still "nothing fancy" there may be some serious issues.  One scenario... the RIAA finds a
user on the network infringing copyrights.  If your client has a lot of money you can be sure the RIAA will try to get
some of it.  Or how about a drive by user distributes child pornography from the network?

It's all fine to pass the buck with an AUP but if you don't do anything to try and enforce it the buck will stop at
your client.

.b