PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Hacking Exposed: Wireless Lab Equipment

From: Colin Vallance <crvallance () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:34:36 -0500

1200s are pretty old news at this point.  Unless you want to get in to
learning (old) cisco gear it might be more trouble than it's worth.  If you
just want to learn to perfect some attacks and play with wep/wpa breakage go
get a cheap linksys/netgear/etc that you can setup in different
configurations.  If you want more bang for your buck try to find something
that'll also take DD-WRT/tomato/openwrt/etc.

As the others mentioned the ALFA card is great w/ backtrack.  External
antennas aren't the end-all, be-all necessarily though.  While it *can* be
useful it isn't always the case as RF is a two way street.  Following the
Hacking Exposed book with one of those should be a snap though.