PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: A few talks from the Central Ohio Infosec

From: Michael Salmon <lonestarr13 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 00:54:10 -0400

Awesome! Thanks Irongeek.  I just finished watching the iOS Device
talk by Tom Eston and I was a little bit confused on one of his
points.  I don't have a lot of experience with iPhone's in general.  I
checked the Jailbreak FAQ from macrumors but I didn't see an answer to
my question, maybe you or someone else can help me.  If an iPhone iOS4
is password protected and hardware encryption is enabled, say the
phone is lost and I.T. issues a remote wipe but the "hacker" removed
the SIM card.  Can the phone be jailbroken at this point to bypass all
the security, or will any method of jailbreaking it wipe (or render
useless) the key so effectively performing the remote wipe?

He talked a lot about Jailbreaking phones to gain root access, but I
wasn't sure if he meant only in situations why they did not already
encrypt the phone.

Thanks,

- Mike