PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Managed firewalls

From: chris serafin <chrisserafin () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:54:28 -0600

I'm biased since I work for a managed security service provider, but I have
to say there is value there. If your a firewall guy, this could be bad. If
your goal is to be a comprehensive security guy and put the needs of the
business first...this makes sense. I can only deal with firewall BS for so
long. I do not want to be making firewall changes  while I can be doing
better things with my time such as policy issues, compliance, pen testing,
IDS/IPS, etc, etc, etc. Depending on your firewall vendor, this make make
even more sense. Checkpoint is ALOT of overhead = time not well spent in
management, but a market leader in FW. Other vendors equal less overhead, so
in house MAY make sense, but still.... do I want to retire as the firewall
guy. Been there, done that.

--Chris Serafin