PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Advice before buying a Wireless Site Survey Kit

From: XXID <noxid () me com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 21:10:08 +1100

Hi Guys,

I need to get one or more commercial wireless site survey kits (Ideally usable on existing MacBook Pro's or Windows
Laptops)

I have a few dollars to spend and am wanting to see if anyone out there could recommend a good commercial offering or
two.

I need something which is going to stand up to some punishment and last for quite a few site surveys,  across a number
of office buildings.

Ideally the Product should be able to map the location and strength of the access points it finds to an operator
supplied floor plans or an image file.
Ideally it should be able to find both "active and passively probing" access points.

I am after something which I can hand over to junior staff to run.

Ideally the solution would have to be fairly accurate and identify the difference between unencrypted, WEP, WPA and
WPA2 Networks.
(If it has the ability to demonstrate WEP or WPA cracking via GPU enabled video cards then that would be an added
bonus.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks
Mark