PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Lunch and learn

From: Kenneth Voort <listbounce-01 () voort ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:55:12 -0500

A few thoughts from my experiences with this...

The moment you put the words "security" or "computer" into the subject of the lunch n' learn
people's interest levels plummet. The most successful ones I've run have surreptitiously hidden
their true intentions by putting some sort of spin on it. For certain topics, you might find the
technical segment of your workforce showing up because of the cool factor, but attracting the
remainder is a bit more difficult, especially for the SMB market. Web security discussions and live
penetration demos attract the tech savvy but leave the rest utterly disinterested. Leave those for
lunches specifically intended for that audience.

Rather than a title like "Computer Security Basics", use a title like "Keeping Your Children Safe
Online", or rather than "Real-world Dangers of Identity Theft", use something like "Safe Online
Shopping for the Holiday Season". Of course, you'd need to tailor your talking and/or discussion
points to cater to the more creative subjects, but the core lessons remain the same; it's all about
spin doctoring it.

A few of the most successful lunch n' learns I've hosted include "Keeping Your Children Safe
Online"(I did a six month series on that one), "Online Shopping Tips for the Technologically
Challenged", and "Facebook Privacy Controls". Several times I've also covered current events; I did
a quite successful Melissa virus explanation back in the day. Doing current events connects the
subject to something real-world in most people's minds. The discussions and questions always allow
me to get the same point across that I would with a "Computer Security Basics" meeting, but with a
far more receptive and varied audience.

Don't count on an accurate attendance list. People rarely commit to lunch n' learns, many who don't
will show up, and many who do, won't. They're useful only as a way to guage interest. If you find a
sweet spot subject, see if you can turn it into a series of meetings. And always provide lunch.

If you're having trouble finding a way to twist the subject matter to appeal to people, see if your
HR or PR people (or even lawyers if you have them on staff) can help. Not only are they experts at
making the unappealing more appealing, they are also the target audience usually missed by these
things and can speak for a lot of people. If you can find a second person to host these with, give
that a try as well. I always find lunch n' learns more interactive with two presenters. I guess it
appears less like a soapbox lecture if you're not alone.