PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Facebook defaults question

From: Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:26:16 -0400

Just generated another account. here are the default app settings:

Bio
My videos
Birthday
My links
Family and relationships
My notes
Interested in and looking for
Photos and videos I'm tagged in
Religious and political views
Hometown
My website
Current city
If I'm online
Education and work
My status updates
Activities, interests, things I like
My photos
Places I check in to

Only "Interested in and looking for" and "Religious and political views"
are off by default.
http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2010/11/facebook-punishes-app-developers-found-selling-user-data.ars
http://www.pcworld.com/article/209444/surprise_your_facebook_data_is_for_sale.html

Looks like there is plenty of apps doing it. Not that I care much, I ensure
by privacy by being boring. Guess they could get my email address elsewhere
and do better targeted spam. Got a good business model for you: Write the
next Farm-vile (not an sp), scrap all data you can from all the people you
can (including their friends list), wait 5 to 20 years for one to got for
political office, sell juicy stuff to reporters.

Adrian