PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Facebook defaults question

From: Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:05:57 -0400

Some of my "friends" have been giving me shit recently because I've gone
though and disconnected from about 3/4 of the people I had added over the
years. People get their panties in a wad because you won't add them back,
even though they never contacted you with Facebook and you only
superficially know each other. I've never put much of anything too private
about myself, it's all crud you could find out via a google/whois search,
but with changing privacy rules I decided to cut things back. That, and
reading all the crap academics post on preventing Sybil attacks based on
social networks (guess they never heard of Robin Sage, and think people are
really selective) and bashing it made be want to put my "money where my
mouth is." End of digression/background.

I took the time to look at the privacy settings, and a few clicks in I found
this:

"Control what information is available to applications and websites when
your friends use them."

The default seemed to be pretty much all things shared, does this mean apps
can just scrap all this information and store it if they like if you have
one dumb ass friend who adds everything Kevin Johnson on Tom Eston sends
them? Does not seem to be a good default.

Thanks,
Adrian