PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Career Advice

From: Bill Swearingen <hevnsnt () i-hacked com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:50:26 -0500

Hey Josh,

I would suggest you get as involved with your local security community as
you can (time-wise) afford. Check out Infragard, ISSA, HTCIA, ASIS, ISACA,
hackerspaces, etc.

Second, keep looking.  Dont let one interview get you down and out.  Just
because you were not what they were looking for in this particular
job, doesn't mean that you aren't exactly what someone is looking for
another job.  I know I have personally had to turn away some incredible
talent simply because they were not exactly what I was seeking for to fill
that particular position.

As a hiring manager, I am more interested in your side projects, what you do
at home, and what you do to keep yourself updated on the latest security
threats.  Dont be afraid to work on your offensive side, and to talk about
it in any future interviews (depending on the job of course).  Oh.. and you
should come to KC for the CyberRAID <http://www.cyber-raid.com> (a little
plug there)

Also, dont forget that we aren't exactly in a booming economy right now. =)
So dont leave your current position until you find that next one.  Security
can be a difficult area to "break in to" but dont give up, it will be that
much more rewarding when you find that right one.

-Bill