PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: is NAC dead?

From: Jack Daniel <jackadaniel () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:58:11 -0400

Ugh, "journalists" with agendas.  I wouldn't accept Joel's conclusions on
much of anything without running them through your own reality filters.
(Anyone else's, either, including mine.  But especially his).

NAC/NAP were (and still are) poorly defined, therefore hard to specify; they
were/are generally complicated and hard to implement.  Many (most?) are
trivial to bypass.

All that said, it can be useful for managing/cleaning a network.  If you
want to really lock down and protect a secure and clean network, it probably
won't make you happy.  If you are trying to get a handle on the typical
network mess and improve management/visibility, NAC might be pretty good if
you can justify the expense.

I would suggest taking a look at Bradford and Napera (based on
recommendations of people I trust, not personal experience).  I've been
playing with the NetClarity NACwall appliance (also sold under the BlackBox
name), I like it- but they are friends of mine so YMMV.

Jack