PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Rogue AP Placement: evil + 1

From: David Porcello <DPorcello () vermontmutual com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:48:34 -0400

Great idea Andrew! I put this plug idea together a couple months ago for HOPE and folks have been coming up with all
sorts of "creative" applications (my favorite so far is the GSM backdoor). You could certainly plug an ALFA into the
USB port and run this as an evil AP. It pulls about 2 watts idle (low enough for battery power!), and the form factor
is great for pentests -- it could easily pass for a printer surge box, carbon monoxide detector, etc.

I am working a guruplug-based version that has built-in wireless (not sure about the chipset yet) as well as 2
ethernet, 2 USB, and eSATA. I have a handful on order but the US distributor is a nightmare (4-6 weeks delivery, if
they don't lose your order).

-- Dave [grep8000] http://www.rocketbearlabs.com/pwn-plug.html