PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Pauldotcom Digest, Vol 23, Issue 3

From: Joshua Smith <lazydj98 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:49:41 -0400

upfront:  I am not trying to start a cert flame war.

I highly recommend the OSCP (offensive security certified pentester), even
if you don't actually take the cert test, the class is great (which is
called Pentesting with BackTrack).  It's very hands on, as is the cert
test.  The exam is 24 hrs long, you basically vpn into their lab and have to
hack (with documentation) into machines.  This is one of the few certs I
truly respect.  The class is not for folks new to security/command line
etc.  I didn't take a CEH class, but I took the exam, you don't really need
that class unless you are new to the subject matter, I have heard decent
things about the class, but it's pretty geared around passing the test, more
than learning the subject matter per se.

Also, I have an RHCT and I found that class to be very informative,
especially since I had zero experience administrating *ix boxes.  I also
took an RHCE class (failed that test miserably).  They are certainly RedHat
specific, but almost everything is portable, esp if you can translate System
V based (Red Hat/Fedora etc) commands into linux-based commands, and on most
platforms you can add packages to make them act as one or the other.  For
instance, on RedHat:  service httpd start might start your http server, but
on Ubuntu it might be /etc/init.d/httpd start, but you can install various
packages to give you the service httpd start capability (or you can softlink
them etc).  There are a few things that will only apply to RedHat/Fedora,
but not much, %10 maybe

-Josh