PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Incident Response

From: Craig Freyman <craigfreyman () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:36:20 -0600

Most of the time we re-image...... From a man hours perspective, it was
always faster and cleaner.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Daniel Holiday <dehaul () gmail com> wrote:

This brings up a question that I have always asked - can you recover from a
machine that has had a virus on it?

I have always felt that once a piece of malware has been on the box, the
box was no longer able to be trusted and would reimage the box.

Asking if the Run and RunOnce entries have been futzered with would not
matter to me because I am going to be reimaging the whole box anyway.  I
would like to know what kind of data made its way out of my network,
however.

What is the accepted procedure for after you have discovered a bad code on
a system?

dehaul